Friday, July 25, 2008

~update ...tears & a general waving of fists at the universe~

ok..
so the last we left our heroine, she was broke, jobless & had just written another bitchy note to the esteemed university she was getting her PhD from.....

today?...
she got this letter: ( i apologize for the length..but the email history kinda tells the whole story)

From: Dr. XXXXX - SOHS Social Services Adjunct Faculty
Sent:Fri 7/25/08 6:18 PM
To: D Minta

Minta,

Good email. I was going to suggest you write this. They really owe you an explanation, if for no other reason that they have hung you up so.

I am heartbroken for you. Hopefully, we will get something back from them that will give us some direction to go in.

We will talk next week.

Dr. XXXXX

From: Minta
Sent: Fri 7/25/2008 6:08 PM
To: augusta hays
Cc: marie russell; frank.faenz@ihs.gov; Dr. XXXXX

Good Afternoon Dr. Hays,

I am wondering if there is any additional information, insight or feedback which you could provide me. I really do not want to believe that my study will not be happening.

I have invested years into this journey and would really appreciate knowing what specifically caused Dr. Russell & some of the other staff of PIMC all of a sudden to not be able to "support my proposal".

Over the last couple of months that we have been talking about what this study could provide, everyone seemed rather enthused.

I am a bit confused and quite frankly rather heartbroken.

I would really appreciate any information or advice you may have as I am willing to change whatever Dr. Russell and her staff feel is needed in order conduct my study.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Minta
PhD ABD
School of Human Services
Capella University



Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:58:48 -0400 (**notice that she hit the send button at 4:59 on a fri day afternoon...ie.e waited all week & with all the chickenshit efforts she could muster she sent this bullshite)
From: Marie.Russell@ihs.gov
To: minta
CC: Augusta.Hays@ihs.gov

Minta-
I have had the opportunity to discuss with Frank Saenz and Kim Couch your proposal. Though we all respect the work that your have put into your proposal we are unable to support your proposal.

I greatly apologize for the delay in being able to respond but wanted to give your proposal the benefit of review by interested parties here at the Medical Center.
Sincerely,
Marie Russell, M.D., MPH
Associate Director Centers of Excellence (Acting)
Phoenix Indian Medical Center


Date: Monday July 21,2008 2:12 PM
From: Minta
To: frank faenz@IHS.GOV
Good Afternoon Frank,

It was a pleasure to speak with you today.

I appreciate your understanding the confusion I have experienced during my recent efforts to track down who I need to speak with in order to finalize the paperwork for Dr. Augusta Hays.

Thank you for taking the initiative to assist me.

As you can see from the chain of emails below, I have been in pursuit of this for a couple months now.

I have attached my proposal for your reading pleasure & look forward to following up with you tomorrow.

Minta
PhD, ABD
School of Human Services
Capella University



From: minta
To: augusta.hays@ihs.gov
CC: Dr XXXXX faculty.capella.edu; marie.russell@ihs.gov

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:51:48 -0700

Good Afternoon Dr. Hays,

I am following up with in a two-fold effort. I wanted to update you on my latest efforts & conversations.

Since our last emails, I have contacted and spoke with Dr. Russell, Kim Couch, Kathy Schwartz (Knecht), & left messages for Holly Elliot & Frank Faenz.

Everyone I have had the opportunity to share my proposal with was enthusiastically on-board, but was not comfortable giving that final magic sign- off that I need for your IRB requirements.

If you could please direct me to the individual that has the authority to give the letter of concurrence, I will meet with them asap.

As I have stated in our earlier conversations, my university has granted one last extension for me to get my IRB approvals done.

I hope you can understand the pressures I am under to produce the final paperwork they need to move forward.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Minta
PhD, ABD
School of Human Services
Capella University

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:13:08 -0400
From: Augusta.Hays@ihs.gov
To: minta

I am very sorry for the delay in reply. I have been out of town for the last couple weeks.

Thank you very much for your prompt and thorough submission. The revised study will be submitted for expedited review.

This requires review by two IRB committee members and is usually accomplished fairly quickly.

However, we do need the letter of concurrence and identification of a research liaison at PIMC to complete your application in order to begin the process.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in any other way.


From: Minta
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 3:58AM
To: Hays, Augusta E. (IHS/PHX);Russell, Marie A (IHS/PHX)
Cc: Dr. XXXXX Capella Univ. committee chair


Good Morning Dr. Russell, Dr. Hays& Dr. Jones,

Please find attached a 'cleaned version' of my Proposed study of NativeAmerican Mothers visiting the Phoenix Indian Medical Center.

After speaking with Dr. Russell last week, I removed any Navajo specificreferences to facilitate a smoother IRB journey for my study at the Phoenix Indian Medical Center.

I have also attached a 'cleaned' copy of my IRB application for Capella University for your review.

I look forward to hearing of the 'next steps' in this journey and will followup with each of you mid-week to discuss.

Regards,
Minta XXXXX PhD, ABD
School of Human Services
Capella University


In addition to finding out my study may not ever happen....I go to check on my funds ( from which I need to live on) ...& they're still not released. I also found this little gem:

When can I expect my financial aid refund?
Refunds are processed up to 7 calendar days after your loan disbursement posts to your account. Please allow up to 3 business days for your refund to be directly deposited into your account, or 3-5 business days for mailing time of your check. Aid disbursement begins during the second week of each quarter.

UM...THIS IS BEGINNING WEEK 4 F*ckers....week 4!~ yeah....I am at a loss....

& u want to hear the best part to all this shite? I called my mom last week to talk to my dad.....to grovel...I have NEVER asked for funds from them. I finally mustered up the guts to do so.....& "he was sleeping"...& my mother....told me to think about getting a waitressing job.....yeah...thanx mom...thanx for the (never had to work as she raised the three of us) worldly advice there mom. Tell your daughter who made 6 figures last yr ...& is in between jobs trying to also complete her PhD to "get a waitressing job"....ohhh yeah..THAT will pay the bills....& make the most of all that education....

then my dad called back a couple days later.....
& I chickened out...
thinking the education funds were coming (which i am still waiting on )....
so it will all be ok....
I've got a couple interviews lined up....

I think this weekend I might have to make that call to dad after all...
god...
my life sucks donkey dicks right now...

Labels: , , ,